According to the Mayo Clinic, neck pain is any sensation of discomfort in the neck area. This can include the cervical vertebrae, discs, nerves, muscles, blood vessels, trachea, esophagus, larynx, lymphatic organs, thyroid glands, or parathyroid glands. Neck pain arises from different conditions and is at times referred to as cervical pain.
Symptoms of Neck Pain:
- Blurred Vision
- Night Sweats
- Pain around shoulder blades
- Tingling sensations
- Burning pain
- Numbness or weakness in arms
- Neck soreness on one or both sides
Common causes of Neck Pain:
- Stress and emotional tensions can cause muscles to tighten causing pain and stiffness.
- Age-related disorders such as osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease can affect the cervical spine resulting in neck pain.
- Injury and accidents result in whiplash and common injury to the supporting tissues of the head and neck.
- Sleeping, sitting, poor posture and or obesity can result in excessive stress on the muscles of the neck causing tension that results in pain.
Acupuncture treatments provide a safe, natural way to alleviate neck pain. The Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) sees the human body as an integrated being. It works with vital energies inherent within all living things to promote the body’s ability to heal itself. Qi (pronounced “chee”) is a vital energy that flows through meridians, pathways that run throughout the entire body. Qi protects the body from illness and provides nourishment to cells, tissues, muscles and organs.
During acupuncture treatments, fine, sterile needles are inserted at specific acupoints along these meridians to release Qi, unblock obstructions and correct imbalance.
Acupuncture Help Neck Pain:
- Clear nerves compression/pinched nerves
- Increase blood circulation to an injured area
- Relax the stiffened muscles
- Reduce nerves inflammation
- Promote tissues healing
- Provide natural pain relief
- Improve range of movement and/or flexibility
- Deactivate the vicious circle of pain
- Increase in amounts of brain chemicals such as serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine
Acupuncture practitioners recommend a holistic health approach inclusive of herbal remedies, massage and stretching. According to Eastern holistic medicine, treatment of neck pain requires lifestyle changes with overall health as its goal.
- Exercise increases flexibility, maintains weight and strengthens muscles
- Diets including anti-inflammatories, unprocessed and organic foods
- Stress reduction through breath, meditation and yoga
- Achieving a balance of rest and relaxation
“I had a nerve compression on my neck which disabled me from turning left or right. Because of the severe neck pain, I could not drive nor sleep comfortably. Dr. Phan’s acupuncture treatments resolved my neck condition. I am now pain free.”
Revollo Humberto, MD