Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) also referred to as Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS) when following a flu-like illness, is characterized as a multi-systemic disease affecting adults. The majority of CFS suffers are primarily females in their forties and fifties usually skipping early childhood and adolescence.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is characterized by the following symptoms:
- Muscle and joint pain
- Mental & physical exhaustion
- Post exercise malaise
- Un-refreshing sleep
- Cognitive difficulties
- Muscle weakness
- Light sensitivity
- Digestive disturbances
- Poor immune system responses
- Cardiac and respiratory problems
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome compromises the immune system in such an overall way that it becomes a threat to health, happiness and productivity.
Alternative health approaches to reduce and eliminate symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome include:
- Herbal remedies
- echinacea, goldenseal, atragulus, Panax and Siberian ginseng
- Herbal supplements such as D-Ribose
- Moderate level of exercise to gradully rebuild stamina
- Avoiding alcohol or nicotine prior to sleep
- Avoiding daytime napping
- Earlier bedtime encourage deeper and more restorative sleep
Today, there are many natural treatments offered as alternatives to the Western medical model. Herbal remedies paired with acupuncture, meditation, massage, deep breathing techniques and dietary changes can greatly reduce and possibly eliminate the symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Acupuncture treatments provide a safe, natural way to alleviate Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) sees the human body as an integrated being. It works with vital energies inherent within all living things to promote the body’s ability to heal itself. Qi (pronounced “chee”) is a vital energy that flows through meridians, pathways that run throughout the entire body. Qi protects the body from illness and provides nourishment to cells, tissues, muscles and organs. During acupuncture treatments, fine, sterile needles are inserted at specific acupoints along these meridians to release Qi, unblock obstructions and correct imbalance.
According to Eastern holistic medicine, acupuncturist practitioners recommend treatments for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome include lifestyle changes with overall health as its goal.
- Massage therapy
- Exercise increases flexibility, maintains weight and strengthens muscles
- Diets including anti-inflammatories, unprocessed and organic foods
- Stress reduction through breath, meditation and yoga
- Achieving balance of rest and relaxation